Joint problems can occur at any age. The use of the drug Chondroitin sulfate, which has a therapeutic effect on cartilage, will help to cope with them. What is the peculiarity of the effect of the drug on diseased joints, what indications there are for use, the form of release and dosage - everything is described in detail in the annotation to the medicine.
What is chondroitin
This substance is a component that is produced by the cartilage tissue of human joints. Chondroitin sulfate is a component of synovial fluid. This substance plays an important role in the work of the skeletal system of the body:
- regulates metabolic processes in cartilage cells;
- promotes the synthesis of hyaluronic acid;
- participates in the process of calcium deposition in the bones.
Chondroitin is a chondroprotector, helps strengthen ligaments, tendons, has a strong analgesic, anti-inflammatory effect. This substance:
- provides depreciation during the movement;
- promotes bone regeneration;
- increases the functional mobility of the joint bag;
- inhibits the degeneration process;
- improves the properties of synovial fluid;
- helps restore the cartilage surface of the joints.
What do they get
The drug Chondroitin sulfate is made from bone marrow, tendons, skin, and cartilage. The working material is animals and fish. Depending on the basis, the substance differs in purity, characteristics, bioactivity, formulas. Low molecular weight fractions are obtained from salmon fish. The composition isolated from animals has less biological activity. For the manufacture of a medicine, cartilage is used:
- thorny sharks - katrans;
- sturgeon fish;
What is glucosamine and chondroitin for?
A small amount of these two substances necessary for the normal functioning of the joints is produced by the body. Partially they come with food - they are present in beef, hard cheeses, poultry. Substances are part of biologically active additives. Glucosamine sulfate in the body is designed to produce hyaluronic acid, build a chondroitin molecule. This substance helps:
- the synthesis of articular cartilage;
- strengthening metabolic processes;
- increase joint mobility;
- improving cartilage nutrition;
- relieving pain;
- slowing down the leaching of calcium from the bones.
The difference between chondroitin is the ability to suppress enzymes formed during diseases and injuries. These substances contribute to the destruction of cartilage. Use of chondroitin sulfate:
- activates the formation of synovial fluid;
- inhibits the destruction of bone cartilage cells;
- reduces pain during movement;
- relieves inflammation of the joint bags;
- increases mobility of affected joints;
- improves calcium-phosphorus metabolism in connective tissues;
- stimulates the synthesis of hyaluronic acid.
The composition of the drug and the form of release
The active ingredient of all drugs is chondroitin sulfate, but each time it has its own dosage. Auxiliary components depend on the form of release. Chondroitin sulfate is produced:
- for oral administration - capsules, tablets, powder (sachet);
- for external use - ointment, gel;
- for injections - lyophilisate powder, solution for injection.
The composition of the drug depends on the form of release:
- Chondroitin lyophilisate in ampoules. Contains Chondroitin Sulfate 100 mg.
- Pills and capsules. The active substance is 250 mg. Auxiliary components in tablets - calcium stearate, lactose. In capsules - propyl paraben, sodium lauryl sulfate, methyl paraben, titanium dioxide, gelatin, water.
- Ointment and gel. Active ingredient - 5 g, auxiliary ingredients - macrogol glycerylhydroxystearate, neroli oil, orange, lavender oil, trolamine, carbomer, nipagin, disodium edetate, dimexide, propylene glycol, purified water.
Indications for use
The drug Chondroitin sulfate is prescribed by doctors to treat diseases of the osteoarticular system. The medicine has a healing effect in injuries, inflammatory processes, is used during the recovery period after fractures. The result is influenced by the form of application, the diagnosis. Clinical studies have proven the effectiveness of the drug in numerous articular pathologies.
It is recommended to use the medicine to treat:
- Osteoarthrosis of the spine and joints. The drug stimulates tissue repair, increases the production of hyaluronic acid, eliminates the operation to replace cartilage. Capsules, injections are recommended.
- Degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the joints and spine. The medicine stops the destruction of bone cartilage, reduces calcium loss, restores cells. Method of application - injections of chondroitin.
- Osteochondrosis is only at the initial stage. Ointments, pills stop inflammation, reduce pain.
X-ray indicators confirmed the effectiveness of the use of chondroitin sulfate in the treatment of:
- Bone fractures - bone marrow formation during fusion is activated, nutrition improves, and cartilage growth accelerates. The patient is prescribed capsules, injections.
- Periodontopathy in dentistry - the processes of metabolism of phosphorus and calcium are normalized, bone tissue is restored. The tool has an anti-inflammatory property, it is used in the form of a gel, the course of treatment is 3 months.
How does chondroitin sodium sulfate act on cartilage
Improving joint function is an important result of using the drug. This is facilitated by the influence of the active substance on the cartilage tissue. Chondroitin Sulfate:
- normalizes the production of hyaluronic acid, which strengthens the connective structures of cartilage;
- inhibits degeneration processes;
- inhibits the action of lysosomal enzymes that destroy connective tissue, increases its strength;
- helps to restore cartilage;
- retains intraarticular fluid;
- improves metabolic processes of cartilage;
- increases the production of synovial fluid.
Mechanism of action
Chondroitin sulfate, entering the body, reaches a maximum concentration after 3 hours. Through the bloodstream, the substance is redistributed through the bone and cartilage tissues. Activation of phosphorus-calcium metabolism occurs. This starts:
- acceleration of recovery processes in the bones, spine;
- reduction of painful symptoms;
- increased production of joint fluid;
- increased mobility;
- inhibition of joint destruction;
- acceleration of the fusion of broken bones;
- anesthesia, removal of inflammation;
- stop degeneration of the articular bag.
Chondroitin sulfate - instructions for use
An abstract to the drug specifies the dosage characteristics for each form. Important points to consider during use. The instruction recommends:
- if side effects occur, suspend treatment, consult a doctor;
- Do not use the product for external use in the presence of open injuries, damage to the skin;
- in the absence of improvement within two weeks, the medicine must be changed;
- avoid ointment, gel on the mucous membranes of the eyes.
Chondroitin injection intramuscularly
The use of the drug in injections involves mixing the powder from one ampoule of the lyophilisate with 1 ml of water intended for injection. The course of treatment is determined by the doctor, an increase in dosage occurs under his control. There are features of use:
- the medicine is administered intramuscularly;
- the course is up to 35 injections every other day;
- if necessary, the patient is well tolerated, after the fifth injection, a dosage increase of up to 2 ml is allowed;
- a repeat of treatment after six months is recommended.
Instructions for use stipulate the features of the use of drugs in the form of tablets. It is important to follow the dosage prescribed by your doctor to avoid side effects. Recommended tablets and capsules:
- use orally with plenty of water;
- swallow the capsule whole;
- reception does not depend on food intake;
- chewable tablets;
- children pour the contents of the capsule into milk, juice, water.
The doctor sets the dosage and duration of the course individually, depending on the course of the disease, its severity. The instruction gives such recommendations:
- the duration of treatment is from 20 days to three months;
- repeated use of the drug after six months;
- the daily dosage for children is from 250 mg, for adults - 750 mg twice.
Chondroitin Ointment for external use
With periodontopathy in dentistry, the use of ointments and gels is used to treat joint ailments. It must be borne in mind that the medicine should not be applied to open wounds. It is unacceptable to use for damage to the skin, mucous membranes. The medicine, according to the instructions:
- applied to the affected area three times a day;
- rubbed into the surface in a circular motion;
- the duration of the course is from two weeks to three months - depends on the diagnosis;
- therapy can be repeated after six months.
The instruction stipulates that when using the drug does not affect memory, concentration. When treating with chondroitin, work on complex mechanisms that require a quick reaction, driving vehicles is allowed. Special instructions for the use of the drug must be considered:
- pregnant women
- nursing mothers.
Annotation to the drug stipulates contraindications for the use of the drug by the child. The doctor may prescribe chondroitin sulfate in an emergency, in severe cases of joint diseases under his control. There are recommendations:
- a child up to a year - 250 mg of the drug per day, dissolved in water, milk;
- from one to five years - the use of a dose is twice as much, the principle of use is similar;
- older than 5 - treatment according to the scheme for adults.
Chondroitin for joints during pregnancy and lactation
There are no clinical studies on the effect of the drug on fetal development during pregnancy. Scientists have found that chondroitin sulfate partially passes into breast milk. Instructions for use of the drug give recommendations:
- exclude the use of the drug during pregnancy;
- if there is an urgent need to treat joint ailments during lactation, suspend breastfeeding, transfer the baby to a mixture.
Interaction with other drugs
When prescribing the drug, the doctor must consider how the drug interacts with various medications. This will help increase the effectiveness of the treatment. When using chondroitin in conjunction with:
- indirect anticoagulants, fibrinolytics, antiplatelet agents, there is an increase in their activity, which requires control of blood coagulation;
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may reduce the dosage of these drugs;
- Chloramphenicol, Penicillin - reduces their absorption in the digestive tract.
Side effects and contraindications
Medications for treating bones and joints should only be used as directed by a doctor. This is due to the presence of contraindications. It is forbidden to use funds when:
- individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- allergic reactions to seafood;
- tendency to bleeding;
- diabetes mellitus;
- liver, kidney dysfunction;
With an overdose of a drug, the appearance of side effects of the drug is not ruled out. Perhaps the formation of hemorrhage at the injection site. The following phenomena are observed:
- from the nervous system - weakness, dizziness, the appearance of high fatigue, sleep disturbances, headache;
- allergic reactions - rashes, swelling, itching, burning, dermatitis, urticaria;
- on the part of the ZHTK - nausea, constipation, vomiting, flatulence, diarrhea.
Chondroitin Sulfate Price
You can buy a drug and an analog of Chondroitin in pharmacies. It is easy to place an order through specialized sites. It is profitable to purchase the medicine in an online pharmacy, if there are discounts and promotions, it will be cheap. The cost is affected by the form of release, quantity, dosage of the drug. The price breakdown for Chondroitin for Moscow is:
Price breakdown, p.
Combined drug with glucosamine sulfate
Doctors prescribe patients with joint diseases medications that are analogues of chondroitin sulfate. Means have the same active substance. Popular medicines:
- Teraflex. It stops the destruction of cartilage, accelerates regeneration, and maintains the viscosity of synovial fluid. Price - 1450 rubles for 60 capsules.
- Artadol. It is used for intramuscular administration. It improves joint mobility, normalizes the production of joint fluid, and reduces pain. Price - 600 rub. for 10 ampoules of lyophilisate.
Good results in the treatment of pathology of joints and bones have:
- Arthrin. Helps the rapid formation of bone marrow in case of bone fracture, relieves inflammation, reduces swelling, bruising, is an analgesic. The price for 36 capsules is 290 p.
- Mucosate. It stops the degeneration of cartilage, activates the production of articular fluid, improves metabolic processes, mobility. Price - 360 p. for 5 ampoules.
- Arthron Chondrex. Stimulates the regeneration of cartilage, increases elasticity, reduces pain at rest, with movement. Price - 1150 p. for 60 tablets.
Anna, 45 years old, went skiing on vacation, broke her leg. A traumatologist recommended taking Arthrin capsules for fast bone growth. The medicine is inexpensive, inflammation and pain, swelling, went very quickly. An X-ray study showed that the bone marrow formed correctly. Recovery ended in a short time.
Inna, 54 years old My knees were very sick, especially when I had to climb and go down the ladders. In the morning, with great difficulty getting out of bed. The doctor diagnosed arthrosis and prescribed Mucosat injections. After a month I felt better, it became easier to move around, the pain decreased. The only drawback is the high price of the medicine.
Victoria, 35 years old There was a serious problem - for unknown reasons, the teeth began to crumble strongly. Very scared, went to the dentist's appointment. The doctor prescribed to use Chondroitin gel balm for lubrication, and warned that the duration of treatment would be long. It took 3 months for the onset of recovery, now the teeth are in order.Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for independent treatment. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give recommendations for treatment based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.