In diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, diarrhea and fever occur, which go along with weakness and vomiting. It will not work out on their own, so self-medication is not recommended. Learn how to give first aid to a sick child or adult, how to treat the cause of unpleasant symptoms.
What is diarrhea
Diarrhea (or diarrhea) in medicine refers to the condition of the body, accompanied by nausea, frequent loose watery stools, pain in the abdomen, and sometimes high fever. Diarrhea causes dehydration, is dangerous for the elderly, children, so it is important to know what treatment to use in order to prevent serious consequences.
There are acute and chronic diarrhea. The first lasts up to two weeks, caused by allergic reactions to drugs, food poisoning, infections. Chronic disease is persistent, prolonged diarrhea with periods of remission. It leads to weakening and dehydration of the body, may be a symptom of a latent disease. Causes of prolonged constant diarrhea can be ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome.
Intestinal infection is accompanied by severe chills, feces with blood. An urgent visit to the doctor is needed if the duration of diarrhea is more than five days in adults and two in children, the discharge of dark bloody stool, severe pain, dehydration. It is especially important to see a doctor if diarrhea appears after returning from Africa or Asia.
What is temperature?
By body temperature is understood the indicator of the thermal state of the human body, which reflects the ratio between organs and the environment. Dangerous for humans is elevated and high body temperature: up to 38 subfebrile, up to 39 - febrile, up to 41 - pyrethic, above 41 hyperpyretic. The critical indicator is 42 degrees - at this temperature, brain tissue is destroyed, which leads to death.
The causes of fever are viruses, bacteria. Heat is accompanied by fatigue, weakness, dry skin, mucous membranes, slight or severe chills. An indicator above 38.5 degrees is an occasion for an urgent call to the doctor at home, especially if a person has muscle aches, pain in the limbs, arrhythmia, loss of appetite.
Adult fever and diarrhea
If a person has high fever and diarrhea at the same time, doctors suggest a diagnosis of acute diarrhea. It can be caused by viral, parasitic or bacterial infections. The causes of acute diarrhea are a viral disease, traveler's diarrhea. The causative agents of the combination of diarrhea with temperature are:
- E. coli - infects meat, fish, milk, vegetables, fruits, water. The infection is transmitted from person to person, the symptoms are watery stools with blood, vomiting.
- Salmonella - it contains raw milk, poorly fried eggs. Excited disease is accompanied by acute abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea frequency 12-15 times a day;
- Shigella - found in foods, there is a liquid stool, with blood, abdominal cramps;
- Rotavirus (viral infection) - you can get infected from others, a person is concerned about vomiting, nausea and diarrhea are observed.
Watery stools and fever in adults or children are more likely to occur on the background of food poisoning. Other reasons are:
- heavy eating;
- allergic reactions;
- excess dosage of medications;
- severe stress, emotional stress;
- a sharp change in climate;
- gastrointestinal tract infection;
- gastric ulcer, gastritis;
- poisoning by heavy metals, poisons, chemical toxins;
- radiation damage.
Diarrhea, nausea, fever
Diarrhea with fever and nausea serves as a protective reaction to the ingestion of toxins. The reasons for the development of these symptoms in the aggregate are:
- fatty food abuse with enzymatic deficiency;
- cholera, hepatitis;
- gastritis, ulcer, inflammation of the pancreas, cholecystitis;
- poisoning with mercury vapor, nitrates, poisonous mushrooms.
Liquid stool and temperature 37
When diarrhea and a temperature of 37 degrees are manifested, doctors may suspect gastroenteritis or intestinal flu due to viruses entering the intestines. Their toxins cause inflammation that affects the intestinal mucosa. A person becomes contagious to other people. Viruses can get into the body through food, drinks:
- with unwashed fruits, expired foods;
- with unboiled water, when swimming in an infected pond;
- airborne droplets through sneezing or chatting with a lot of people.
The incubation period lasts 16 hours, after which the destruction of the intestinal mucosa occurs. Signs of a dangerous disease are:
- frequent liquid diarrhea - 10 times a day;
- nausea, vomiting, cough, sore throat;
- mucus in the feces;
- gray-yellow clay-colored stool;
- pain in the stomach.
Diarrhea and temperature 38 in an adult
With severe diarrhea and a temperature of 38 degrees, doctors make a diagnosis of "damage to the gastrointestinal tract due to the development of infection." The causes may be an overdose of antibiotics, hormonal non-steroidal drugs, digestive upset. The latter may be caused by overeating or the use of substandard foods. If you feel unwell, visit your gastroenterologist or therapist.
Fever, nausea, diarrhea, weakness
Symptoms of food poisoning include weakness, fever, and watery diarrhea in an adult or child. They appear suddenly, after eating foods, without an incubation period. Two hours after ingestion, the pathogen (infection of microbes, viruses or chemical toxins) acts on the body. Typical symptoms are:
- liquid feces coming out cramping;
- lowering blood pressure;
- cold sweat;
- with poisoning by poisons, vision is impaired, the brain works, muscles lose their tone.
Diarrhea and temperature in childhood
In infants, the dangerous temperature for diarrhea is 37 degrees or more. The causes of these symptoms are:
- eating disorder, intoxication of the body - a pale face, cold feet and hands, stomach ache;
- reaction to drugs;
- acetonemic syndrome - a lack of carbohydrates, transmitted infectious diseases of the digestive system, stress, manifests itself by vomiting, bad breath of acetone from the mouth;
- teething - gum swelling may begin;
- non-compliance with hygiene rules - signs of poisoning are visible;
- helminthic infestations - severe diarrhea;
- gastritis, colitis, dysbacteriosis - signs of toxins entering the body pass with medication;
- enterovirus - diarrhea with blood (invasive bloody diarrhea);
- rubella, scarlet fever, measles - rashes on the skin;
- flu, sore throat, otitis media, pharyngitis - reddening of the throat, enlarged tonsils, nasal congestion, temperature may rise;
- dysentery, salmonellosis - green feces with mucus.
What to do
Home treatment can reduce the effects of dangerous symptoms, provided the following recommendations are followed:
- give the patient a plentiful drink - mineral water Borzhom or Essentuki, dried fruit compotes, weak fruit drinks, weak tea with honey;
- observe diet food - boiled cereals, vegetable soups;
- take dairy products, sour cheeses, low-fat cottage cheese;
- drink starchy jelly for health;
- eat more boiled vegetables, baked fruits;
- you can bring down the temperature above 38 degrees Nurofen, Aspirin, Paracetamol;
- take calcium preparations, pro-or prebiotics with pectin, acidophilus.
If the temperature rises and stool disorders appear, the first measures for the patient will be the following measures:
- at the first signs of intestinal poisoning, induce vomiting to rinse the stomach - drink a solution of potassium permanganate or soda, repeat until the stomach is completely empty, then take an absorbent;
- to prevent signs of dehydration every 10 minutes, give the patient a sip of Regidron (packet per liter of water), plenty of water;
- on the first day of treatment with severe weakness, you should refuse to eat, drink more and rest, in the subsequent follow a light diet, consume broths;
- the temperature with diarrhea up to 37 degrees should not go astray (it indicates that there is a process of the body's independent struggle against infection). In this situation, provide the patient with complete rest.
With a complicated course of the disease, diagnosis is required, which allows you to prescribe the right drugs for treatment. Diagnosis measures include the use of coprograms, feces for dysbiosis and helminths, a general and biochemical blood test, and abdominal ultrasound. Depending on the cause of diarrhea, the following treatment methods are used:
- reception of sorbents.
- gastric lavage with severe vomiting;
- rehydration therapy for fluid loss - Regidron, Gastrolita, Citroglucosolan, chamomile tea, pharmacy saline;
- antipyretic drugs for headaches - Paracetamol, Nurofen;
- taking antibiotics of the fluoroquinolone series or cephalosporins - in serious condition, the presence of blood in diarrhea
- lacto and bifidobacteria for the restoration of intestinal microflora with rotavirus infection;
- taking anti-inflammatory drugs on the first day of the disease - Indomethacin, Diclofenac, Sulfasalosin;
- when diarrhea occurs, it is useful to take Festal or Mezim to stimulate the intestines and remove toxins.
If diarrhea and fever occur in an adult or a child, you can use traditional medicine recipes to help get rid of dehydration:
- Reception of rice or pomegranate broth, mint infusion, fresh blueberries.
- The use of dry starch dissolved in water, diluted carrot puree, chamomile or mint tea.
- Rehydration solutions intake - take a tablespoon of sugar, tea salt and half tea soda per liter of boiled water. Or, in a liter, dissolve eight teaspoons of sugar, tea salt, fresh juice of two oranges or grapefruits. It is necessary to water the patient every five minutes in small portions.
To prevent the occurrence of weakness, fever, diarrhea and vomiting, you need to follow simple but effective prevention rules:
- when cooking, observe the shelf life of the products;
- do not allow self-treatment with antibiotics;
- store ingredients only in the refrigerator in compliance with the commodity neighborhood, do not keep raw meat next to fresh vegetables;
- choose only high-quality food products, without delay in shelf life;
- Do not eat raw fish in rolls, cook steaks without blood, do not drink unpasteurized milk, unverified water;
- wash hands more often;
- eliminate insects in the kitchen;
- wash the dishes thoroughly.