These stunningly beautiful flowers are perceived only as a decorative element that lives for several days. Few people understand what can be made from rose petals, excluding simple drying for later use in the bath. For those who want something unusual, professionals are advised to try making jam.
How to make rose petal jam
Such an exotic dessert was born in the East, in Turkey it is called "gulbesheker", but very quickly Western Europe fell in love with the delicacy, and later spread around the world. The basis was the petals of pink and / or red roses of tea varieties, which were boiled with sugar or honey. The more saturated the shade of the flower (natural), the more attractive the prepared jam will be.
Before proceeding with its preparation, you need to familiarize yourself with the basic recommendations:
- Take only garden roses grown on a personal plot or a window: roses that are sold by salons and shops are carefully treated with chemicals and often even tinted. This can spoil the appearance and taste of the dessert, and it will negatively affect health.
- If you collect the buds yourself, store them in a tightly tied bag left in the refrigerator, otherwise the flavor will be lost.
- Make sure that the flower is at the initial stage of opening - the bud should barely blossom. If he has done this completely, he will not be suitable for harvesting.
- Before cooking, scald the rose petals with boiling water, and then fill them with ice water. After a few minutes, repeat this step. After they will need to be dried, and you can prepare a treat.
The benefits and harms of jam from roses
This flower is not only an ideal gift for a beloved woman or a room decoration: in it, like in any plant, there is a storehouse of useful properties, which few people realize. In this case, there are no contraindications, excluding individual intolerance. Jam from rose petals is a delicious, very attractive and very important dessert for the body, capable of:
- calm the nervous system;
- eliminate diseases of the digestive tract;
- heal the mucous membrane with peptic ulcer;
- quickly give a feeling of fullness due to glucose and sucrose;
- strengthen the body's defenses;
- regulate carbohydrate metabolism;
- relieve spasm of the vessels of the head;
- affect the rate of blood coagulation;
- restore the proper functioning of the thyroid gland;
- treat sore throat and stomatitis.
Petal Jam Recipe
Such a treat is not stored for a long time, so the general cooking technology is very simple, it can even exclude heat treatment completely. Cans and lids must be sterilized. All recipes from rose petals contain a minimum amount of ingredients: it is mainly sugar, an acidic element (citrus juice or citric acid), and some add pieces of fruit or zest.
Cooking jams without heat treatment
The simplest and most useful option, in which all the vitamins of rose petals are stored. This jam is prepared very quickly, stored for several months. Even sterilization is excluded, so there is absolutely no interference in the form of high temperatures. The list of ingredients is very short:
- fresh tea rose petals - 450 g;
- granulated sugar - 900 g.
The process of making cold jam from rose petals is as follows:
- Disassemble the buds, at each petal remove the zone of contact with the sepals - a white area.
- Rinse, fingering, in any large bowl of water.
- Squeeze lightly, put on a wire rack to dry.
- When the petals get rid of most of the moisture, move them to a jar.
- Sprinkle with sugar, alternating layers.
- Take it manually or with a pestle, stimulating the release of juice.
- Close, keep in the cold.
How to cook rose jam with rosehip petals
A classic recipe that produces a very aromatic, very delicate dessert. It is recommended to add ready-made jam to tea or create cold drinks based on it. Like other sweet berry and fruit preparations, such pink jam is rarely used - the taste is neutral, not everyone likes it. The amount of ingredients is as follows:
- tea rose petals - 0.4 kg;
- rosehip flower petals - 0.23 kg;
- citric acid - a pinch;
- sugar - 1.2 kg.
Cooking pink jam:
- Sprinkle the washed and dried petals with sugar (about a glass), put in the shade for an hour.
- Add citric acid. Insist another 5 hours
- Pour the remaining sugar into cold water (210 ml), bring to a boil. Simmer for a quarter of an hour.
- Pour the petals into the pan, continue cooking, periodically removing the foam.
- When the flower mass settles to the bottom, pour the jam into small jars that have undergone sterilization. Roll up.
Pink jam with lemon and orange juice
A very popular recipe due to the unusual sweet and sour taste that makes such a treat not only an addition to tea - this jam from rose petals can be a filling for a cake or pie. Sugar buds are taken in a ratio of 1: 2, the amount of orange and lemon juice is selected individually. Making jam based on rose petals:
- Peel the citruses, set aside the crusts. Squeeze the juice from the pulp and bring to a boil.
- Squeeze the rose petals with sugar in a spoon, pour in hot juice.
- Boil for half an hour, then add crushed crusts.
- The dessert will be ready when all the ingredients are soft.
Rose jam at home with honey
The highlight of such a treat is not only the replacement of sugar, but also the addition of nuts. The classic recipe suggests walnuts, but rose jam is so versatile that you can use almonds, cashews or even pine nuts. The weight of this ingredient is for peeled kernels. The composition of the jam is simple:
- tea rose petals - 150 g;
- liquid honey - 90 g;
- nuts - 50 g;
- boiling water - 2/3 Art.
To make such a jam from roses is simple:
- Crush the nuts in a coffee grinder or throwing them in a bag and tapping them with a meat hammer.
- Prepare the petals and pour boiling water, boil for a quarter of an hour.
- After a day, add honey, cook until smooth.
- Pour nuts, bring to readiness in a few minutes.
- Pour into banks, carefully roll up.
Pink jam in the multicooker
The recipe will appeal to housewives who want to save time spent in the kitchen. The highlight of the jam is the density and tangerine component. The composition of the sweets is short:
- rose petals - 220 g;
- large tangerines - 2 pcs.;
- icing sugar - 460 g;
- water is a glass.
- Rinse the petals, peel the tangerines, strip them (if any).
- Mix the ingredients, grind with a blender.
- Pour into a slow cooker, cook on the "Soup" a quarter of an hour.
- Introduce powdered sugar. Stir the jam for several minutes, leaving it in the same mode.
- Boil for another half hour, immediately pour into small jars.