The benefits of eating vegetables are undeniable. This also applies to tomatoes: they have a pleasant taste, the composition of the products compensates for the missing elements in the human body. For this reason, many gardeners in the world grow these vegetables. Low-growing varieties are popular. Not all people know their advantages and growing characteristics: something develops well in greenhouses, some varieties are suitable for open ground. It is important to know about this if you want to get a big crop in the future.
What are undersized tomatoes
Low-growing tomatoes are a culture below 1 m in height, they belong to the category of determinants, the lateral branches are densely located, in the presence of 4-5 brushes, development stops. Rarely among low-growing varieties are semi-determinant tomatoes - they are distinguished by the rapid development of shoots, stems. Superdeterminant tomatoes are always stunted: height not more than 0.8 m.
Tall crops (indeterminate) reach a height of 2-2.5 m. It is difficult to care for them. Low-growing tomatoes are suitable for beginners - they are easy to care for, bloom profusely, bring a rich harvest. If you are looking for such seeds, then on the package should be indicated "determinant", "superdeterminant", "standard" (there are low and high options). To undersized and include mini-tomatoes, indoor plants.
If you still doubt the purchase of seeds, then read about the benefits of "dwarfs". They differ:
- Small in height, so it is not necessary to create a greenhouse for culture. Sometimes you can only make a film tunnel. "Dwarfs" do not take up much space: culture and its root are relatively small.
- A short period of development, from the moment of emergence of seedlings to full maturity. It takes a little time to grow seedlings - this advantage is important if you live in a city apartment in which you can not grow seedlings for a long time and fully. Those who are late for sowing a tall variety or seedlings turned out to be bad should buy seeds of a stunted crop - they are planted later.
- Possibility of growing under shelter or in open ground. Keep in mind that in the south, culture develops without pinching. The farther north the region, the more care will be required: shoots appearing from the sinuses are plucked out (necessary for full ripening of the ovaries), when cold weather sets in, the plants are covered with film, lutrasil (required in spring or August).
- Rapid ripening - this protects crops from late blight, which appears in August, which is detrimental to the crop. If the seeds are sown at the end of March, then you can harvest at the end of June (when growing in a greenhouse) or in July (in open ground).
- The possibility of direct sowing in the soil under the greenhouse in April or May. It is better to place the seeds in warm soil, after which the bed is covered with a film. Keep the greenhouse until the frost stops completely: in many regions of Russia they are observed until June (in this case, wait for the harvest in August). The main advantages of this sowing are the exclusion of the possibility of overgrowing crops, they will be hardened, seedlings do not need to be transported, a place for other crops will appear on the windowsill. Today there are varieties suitable for the northern regions: crops easily tolerate cooling, are resistant to damage to green mass, and quickly recover without reducing yield. As a rule, varieties for areas of risky farming are characterized by early ripening.
- Easy care: many varieties do not need to be tied up, stepsoned. Keep in mind that the standard plants are the most unpretentious: plant them in beds and do not worry about pinching, they themselves will stop developing. The trunk of the “dwarfs" is thick, which makes them stable. When forming and ripening fruits, tie the branches so that they do not break in the wind.
- Compactness, due to which "dwarfs" can be placed on the balcony in the apartment. If you decide to grow at home, then get indoor varieties (for example, Little Red Riding Hood, Aztec, Cherry), adapted to small pots, relatively low light. Indoor plants have a height of 0.2 m, fruits 25 g each, are attractive. Plant them in pots, containers, beds: many gardeners grow crops like ampelous. Such plants quickly and easily shelter from the cold, strong wind. At home, the crop is removed almost all year round.
- A wide variety of varieties: they sell cherry, small fruit, plum, red, yellow, pink, black, orange, sugar, dessert, for salads and decoration of dishes, juices, canning, decorative.
Go to a reliable store for seeds, because unscrupulous firms sell pollinated seeds, using which you get not compact plants, but giant thickets. Learn about the varieties of dwarf tomatoes that are found in stores:
- Determinant - stepchildren rarely appear on them, small-branched plants, internodes are close to each other, due to which a stanza is formed that does not require tying, pinching. Crops are suitable for cultivation in the open ground, in the enclosed space. When 2-6 inflorescences are formed, the shoots and stalk stop their development, then the culture spends the available nutrients on the formation and ripening of the fruits. Keep in mind that the meaning of the word “determinant” is premature, stunted (Cherry, Riddle, and Golden Stream tomatoes belong to the group).
- Semi-determinant - designed for growing in open ground ("Aphrodite", "Silhouette", "Merchant", "Baron"). The top of the culture with a height of 80-90 cm is recommended to pinch off. If this is not done, then the height will be about 120 cm. In order to accelerate fruiting and increase the yield, stepsoning is recommended.
- Superdeterminant - very short ("Gina", "Explosion", "Far North", "Sanka"). 2-3 brushes are formed on the shoot: after the development of the last brush is over, growth stops. The fewer fruits, the less time is required for their ripening. After the friendly return of the fruit, new ovaries do not form. Remember that “superdeterminant” means super low, super precocious. Such seedlings need to be stepson, to form their growth point.
Varieties of undersized tomatoes for greenhouses
In greenhouses, tall varieties are often planted, which in the open ground need to be tied up and periodically chopped. Those who have no time to pay much attention to gardening are advised to buy self-pollinated varieties of undersized tomatoes for greenhouses. On sale there is a huge assortment of crops with a wide variety of characteristics: they differ in decorative and taste qualities, rules of care, and productivity.
It belongs to medium-ripened varieties, height is 50-100 cm. Sweetish, large tomatoes (weight 250-300 g) grow, there are flattened specimens or round red with faint intermittent yellowish stripes (this kind attracts attention, they look like apples). There are about 6 fruits on a branch; they do not crack during ripening. They are suitable for preservation, preparation of salads, fresh consumption.
A culture with a height of 100 cm of the determinant type, is characterized by good productivity, belongs to the medium-ripened category (ripening period is 100 days from the first shoots), is suitable for greenhouses and greenhouses, likes diffused sunlight. If the care is good, then from one plant receive up to 40 kg of sweet, juicy oval-shaped vegetables, orange tint. The "Orange Princess" looks attractive, so it can be planted to decorate the garden.
The classic variety is precocious, there are bushes of indeterminate and determinant types. Often thickets are strewn with fruits: large clusters are formed. Small red tomatoes weighing about 15 g have a strong aroma, sweet to the taste. It is recommended to plant in greenhouses, hotbeds or on the balcony, at home in pots, a 5-liter pot. Ripe products are good for harvesting and fresh consumption.
If you want to save space and get a good harvest, then buy the seeds of the "Talisman". The bushes look very attractive, they are compact, in terms of fruiting intensity they are not inferior to tall counterparts. Many gardeners plant a "Talisman" to decorate the cottage: place bushes in baskets, flower pots, hanging flower pots, hang containers on tree branches on the street or arrange in greenhouses.
This dwarf version is similar to the "Cherry", it feels good not only in the greenhouse or greenhouse, but also on the balcony, in the apartment on the windowsill. Feel free to plant the crop in flower pots, flower pots, small tubs. Bushes can be planted not only for harvesting, but also for decorating an apartment, plot. Plant height up to 40 cm, it is not required to pinch them. Tomatoes are sweet, bright yellow, small in size (25 g each), weighing 20-30 g. Ripening begins in July and ends with the onset of the first frost. The products are suitable for preservation, preparation of salads.
Varieties of undersized tomatoes for open ground
Many summer residents choose undersized tomatoes for open ground. Vegetables of this group are found in different colors, tastes and sizes. The varieties "Gift of the Volga", "Perseus", "Apple of Russia", and "Torch" are popular. They are characterized by high productivity, excellent taste, and resistance to viral diseases. Lush bushes are independently formed, they do not need to be stepson - all this greatly facilitates the care.
Belongs to new varieties, intended for salting and canning. The resulting fruits contain a large amount of dry matter, are dense, have a pleasant taste. Ripening is early, one vegetable weighs about 100 g. In leaving, half-meter bushes are unpretentious, they do not often need to be planted, tied up. "Watercolor" is not susceptible to septoria, apical rot.
Powerful plants with a large number of leaves, belong to the determinant category, are resistant to diseases and viruses, suitable for greenhouses, open areas. On inflorescences of 3-5 fruits, 180 g each, characterized by a sweet taste, density. It is recommended for salads, pickles and canning: make tomato paste, juices. Due to the presence of a dense skin, the fruits are well stored, do not spoil during transportation.
The culture is 40-60 cm high, the crop is up to 2 kg from one bush. Sweet red tomatoes weighing 60-90 g can be used for salting, fresh consumption. Maturing term - 111-130 days. “Torch” has gained popularity due to its resistance to diseases: it does not threaten Fusarium wilting of fruits, alternariosis, anthracnose are not terrible. Buy seeds if you do not like to spend long time on beds. During the vegetation of plants they do not often need to weed, loosen, fertilize.
Gift of the Volga region
The fruiting period is from 103 to 109 days, suitable for planting in open ground. When tying the fruit, it is recommended to tie it to the supports, otherwise there will not be a good harvest (on average about 4-5 kg). Plant height 50-70 cm, periodic pinching is necessary. The vegetables are juicy, sweet, resistant to long transportation, suitable for fresh consumption, processing.
High-yielding, early ripe, determinant hybrid, ripening time 90-95 days from the time of emergence. Suitable for greenhouses or outdoor cultivation, under film shelters. Hybrid crops are not prone to vertex rot, resistant to severe weather conditions. Vegetables are not prone to cracking, dense with a thin skin, suitable for making sauces, fresh consumption.
Apple tree of Russia
The ripening period is 118-135 days, the plants are standard, medium-branched, 80-100 cm high, do not require pinching, formation. These tomatoes are for lazy gardeners. Tomatoes are sweet, medium in size, weighing up to 100 g, resemble potatoes. Products are usually stored, salted, consumed fresh. Cultures develop well in greenhouses and on the street, resistant to drought, viruses.
For domestic regions, it is often necessary to choose early varieties of vegetables. Their main advantage is early maturity. Every year, an increasing number of early, ultra-early tomatoes appear. As a rule, the ripening period is less than 100 days from the time of germination. When choosing seeds, give preference to domestic producers.
Bushes stop development when they reach a height of 60 cm. Seeds "Alaska" are recommended for open ground, suitable for regions with a short summer. If you grow in a greenhouse or a greenhouse, you will also get a good harvest. "Alaska" is resistant to diseases: fusarium, tobacco mosaic and others. Round-shaped vegetables ripen early and amicably, quickly gain sweetness, their weight is up to 100 g. On one brush there are 5-6 fruits. Vegetables are not very suitable for canning, it is better to eat fresh.
Height is about 0.5 m, suitable for shady areas, moist soil: can be placed in greenhouses, greenhouses or outdoors. The culture is resistant to various diseases, viruses, fungi. Red tomatoes ripen early, do not crack, have a weight of 80-100 g, 4 to 6 pieces are present on the brush, are characterized by sweetness, density, suitable for workpieces.
Vegetables of bright orange color, elongated shape, amazing sweet taste, weight 65-120 g, suitable for harvesting (including for whole-canning), fresh consumption, well stored. The height of the crop is up to 80 cm, the yield is high: up to 8 fruits on one brush. The "Golden Stream" is resistant to many diseases, develops without pinching, tying, shelter.
With proper care from one bush, you can collect up to 8 kg: from 1 square. m get about 20 kg of vegetables. "Hybrid Primadonna" is distinguished by large vegetables, early maturity, long storage of tomatoes, and resistance to bad weather, diseases and viruses. Red vegetables are round in shape with an extension, diameter 10 cm, weight 120 g. The skin is thin, smooth and shiny, the pulp is dense and fleshy. Fruits with a clear sourness, pleasant aroma, do not crack, suitable for canning, cooking summer salads.
Large-fruited undersized tomatoes
If you are interested in a large harvest and at the same time do not want to spend a lot of time on leaving, then pay attention to this group. Some varieties of vegetables are suitable for canning, something more suitable for the preparation of summer vitamin salads. When choosing seeds, carefully read the characteristics on the packaging: purpose, yield and other data. Such varieties can be grown both by experienced gardeners and beginners.
If you need to collect a large crop (large, sweet and fragrant vegetables), then feel free to choose "Pink Honey". The height of the culture is from 1 to 1.5 m. Vegetables that look like hearts have a weight of 200 g, but there are specimens up to 1 kg. The variety belongs to mid-season, it is better to plant for fresh consumption. The only drawback of the culture is its susceptibility to various diseases, therefore, special attention should be paid to care.
Early ripe hybrid, ripening time 90-100 days from the moment of transplanting (seedling time is short).Bushes are low 70-80 cm, they grow well in greenhouses on an open bed, are resistant to diseases: tobacco mosaic, cladosporiosis, verticillosis, fusarium. In the northern regions, it is recommended to cover with film or grow in greenhouses. Round, red tomatoes weighing 150-200 ripen. The flesh is dense, due to which the products are stored for a long time, perfectly tolerates transportation.
Abakan pink large-fruited
It belongs to the category of determinants, bushes up to 80 cm high do not need to be tied to stakes, because there is a strong stem. Grow in two stems, productivity - 5 kg per 1 square. m. Relate to mid-ripening varieties: from the first seedlings it takes 120 days for complete ripening. It is recommended to use pink vegetables weighing 300 g with meaty and sugar pulp for the preparation of summer vitamin salads: it is very convenient to grow a variety for this purpose, because the harvesting time is extended in time.
Early ripe large tomatoes
Impatient gardeners are suitable for early ripening varieties of large tomatoes. There are few such seeds, so choosing the right ones will be simple. Remember that some unscrupulous companies sell poor-quality planting material: vegetables in this case ripen tasteless, small, bushes need to be tied up. To avoid buying such seeds, pay attention to the options below.
Refers to a determinant early ripe group, suitable for the northern regions. Bushes are compact, up to 0.4 m high, no pinching is required. Round vegetables of a pink shade, weighing 100-200 g, sweetish in taste, it is recommended to use for summer salads. Due to its early ripeness, the variety is not susceptible to various diseases: late blight is not terrible.
It is successfully grown in almost all regions of Russia: in Siberia or the Urals, it is recommended to plant bushes in a greenhouse or greenhouse. Refers to the determinant group. Bushes up to 70 cm high, bright red vegetables weighing up to 100 g: up to 6 pieces are found on each inflorescence. Fruiting occurs 2.5 months after transplanting, lasts until September. Tomatoes are resistant to cracking and have an excellent taste.
High yielding tomatoes
In the field of vegetable growing, there is high competition, so the choice of seeds should be approached very seriously. Another common group are high-yielding tomatoes. There are bushes that give about 20 kg of crop per 1 sq. Km. m. The sizes of vegetables are often small, but relatively large specimens are also found. Taste qualities are not the highest, because all the forces of the plant are spent on increasing yields, which leads to a decrease in the composition of ascorbic acid products, sugar.
Ideal for a greenhouse or greenhouse. Vegetables ripen for a long time, so the "Titan" is considered to be late: take this into account, if you are planning to plant bushes in the open ground, the ripening time of the tomatoes will increase significantly. Bushes 40-60 cm tall are compact. With the right approach, high yields are ensured. Tomatoes weighing 80-150 g are tasty, medium in size, suitable for pickling, fresh consumption.
Height 50 cm, belongs to the determinant type, tolerates bad weather, rarely infected with diseases. It is recommended to plant on a large area: in greenhouse conditions, the crop is better, about 15 kg matures per 1 sq. M. m. The red fruits of a round shape weighing 80 g ripen after 90-100 days from the time of germination: the vegetables ripen together, the yield is 3-4 kg per crop. The taste of meaty vegetables is characterized by the presence of a small acidity.
It is characterized by elongated smooth fruits, reminiscent of red cream, weighing 90-110 kg. Products are used for canning, cooking summer salads. If you regularly water and feed the plant, then the yield is up to 3.5 kg. Sowing seeds is 60 days before planting in the ground. Feed Rocker with mineral fertilizers: use ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, ammonium sulfate, urea, urea, superphosphate, potassium sulfate (complex fertilizers like Kemira Universal-2, Diammophos, Nitrofoska are suitable).
Perform stepsoning periodically, take measures to protect against viruses: spray green fruits with calcium nitrate (protect against top rot), treat with Acrofil against spider mites, use Verticillin, yarrow decoction, chamomile, tobacco against plant aphids, use Mikosan "," Pentafag ", Bordeaux fluid from late blight (when brown spots on tomatoes appear, leaves turn yellow and dry).
For salads and processing, the mid-early "Tourmaline" is suitable, which develops well in the greenhouse and on the street. Ripening time is 117-122 days. The result is pink, round-shaped products weighing 150-170 g. Recommended care is periodic feeding with mineral fertilizers, watering, weeding, and loosening. With this approach, the yield from one plant is 4.5-5 kg.
Another name for the seeds is "Fighter", they were bred in Siberia in 2012, suitable for the northern regions: grow under the film or on the street. The bushes are cold-resistant, tolerate drought well, do not become infected with viruses: they do not lend themselves to tobacco mosaic. Vegetables are distinguished by an elongated shape, smooth skin, saturated red or yellow. Productivity: from 1 sq. m about 25 kg.
How to choose undersized tomatoes
As a rule, the choice of culture is based on personal preferences of customers. The search process takes into account the taste of the fruit, yield, resistance to diseases, viruses, bad weather conditions. Decide on the purpose of growing crops. Find out what vegetables are for: for sale, canning, fresh consumption. There are vegetables:
- Salad or dessert - large, meaty, juicy, tasty and aromatic.
- For canning - medium-sized with dense pulp, strong skin, often oval in shape, convenient for cans.
- For storage - medium-sized dense fruits with a long fruiting period.
- Universal - suitable for canning, fresh consumption.
There are general rules for selecting seeds. When searching, pay attention to:
- Climatic conditions: for which regions seeds are suitable.
- Rules of care.
- Producer: importing seeds is not recommended, because they are often not suitable for Russian regions.
- Shelf life.
- The presence on the packaging of detailed information about the manufacturer, GOST marks.
- Seed germination data: 80-90% is considered true information.
- Purpose of seeds: open ground or greenhouse. Remember that the determinants are suitable for open ground and greenhouses, the determinants are suitable for greenhouses (if the southern region is planted on the street), the super determinants are suitable for early harvesting in greenhouses and planting on the street.
- Ripening information: early or late variety.
Alexander, 45 years old For three years in a row I have been growing Aphrodite and I am not overjoyed. In leaving it is unpretentious (I note that I pinched the top), the crop is early and friendly. Fruiting continues almost until the end of September. We make salads and preparations only from this variety. If you do not know what to choose or do not have gardening experience, then feel free to buy Aphrodite. I advise all summer residents!
Maria, 35 years old. Once I bought a stunted variety, planted bushes in a polycarbonate greenhouse, planted stakes 1.5 m long. The plants were extruded to the ceiling, the jungle turned out, but I was not upset because everything was hung with fruits - I did not expect such a crop . The tomatoes look very beautiful, dense, as I like, of the same size. Used to decorate salads and other dishes, canning.
Sergey, 30 years old. Every year we plant Alaska, we live in a relatively harsh region (Sverdlovsk Region). We grow vegetables in the greenhouse, planted in late May, we are not engaged in the formation of bushes. We get a big crop, we collect 2-2.5 kg per bush: we sold the first wave of the crop on the market, we used the leftovers for ourselves, there was enough.