Greens has unique properties. It cleanses the body, removes harmful substances, rejuvenates and enhances immunity. Arugula salad has such qualities. At one time, it was considered unsuitable for food and was grown as livestock feed. Gourmets, having tasted the green leaves to taste, said that this plant with its nut-peppery taste is worthy of great cuisine.
Biological Description of Arugula
Arugula (rucola) has many names, known as the Caterpillar sowing, Indow sowing, Eruka sowing, Arugula (Arugula). Belongs to the genus Indau, family Cabbage. The natural zones of growth of the thermophilic plant are the north of Africa, the south and the center of Europe, Asia Minor and India. In Russia, the plant can be found in the Caucasus, Dagestan. In the north, it is grown in greenhouses or at home. Arugula can be grown at home in an ordinary flower pot.
An annual plant loves dry loose soil, its height reaches 30-60 cm, the bush itself is fluffy, sprawling. The leaves are dissected, medium fleshy with a characteristic odor. Arugula blooms from May to July with bright yellow flowers with purple streaks, which consist of four wedge-shaped petals. The seeds are in the pod, which is the fruit of the plant.
Arugula has a low calorie content. Its energy value per 100 grams is only 25 kcal. The amount of fat is 0.7 grams, sugar - 2.3 grams. But this is not the only thing that arugula is useful. The composition of this plant is very valuable. It contains a daily dose of vitamin K, as well as:
- vitamins A, B, C, E, T;
- minerals magnesium, zinc, selenium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, iron, iodine.
Useful properties of arugula
Thanks to the vitamin-mineral complex, this seemingly inconspicuous herb positively affects the body as follows:
- If you have a cough, add this salad to the menu. It has an expectorant effect.
- Improves the digestive system, treats diseases of the stomach and intestines.
- This plant is a strong aphrodisiac. This ability was known many centuries ago.
- The composition of the arugula improves metabolism.
- The plant strengthens the walls of blood vessels, improves the functioning of the circulatory system, reduces the risk of varicose veins and hypertension.
- This salad has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, it relieves the effects of stress and soothes.
- It removes salt deposits, lowers blood cholesterol, increases hemoglobin.
- It has a diuretic effect.
- Useful for iodine deficiency.
- Tones up, gives energy.
- Improves skin condition.
- Arugula is useful for women during pregnancy and lactation. The vitamins and minerals of this plant contribute to the good development and growth of the baby.
Possible harm from eating salad and contraindications
There is a group of people who should restrict the use of arugula or completely remove it from the diet. The following factors influence this:
- Allergic reaction. Unpleasant rashes on the body, redness of the skin, itching - all this can be a reaction to arugula. The reason for this is the increased content of volatile. Caution should be given to young mothers who breastfeed. Eat a few leaflets and wait. If after this, during the day, the baby behaves as before and there are no consequences, then the greens can be added to the menu.
- The increased acidity of the plant. Limit the use of arugula is necessary for people with a diagnosis of gastritis and ulcers. It can adversely affect the course of the disease.
- For the same reason, people with liver and kidney problems should be careful about arugula.
What eat arugula
This plant was especially popular with Italian chefs who know how to eat arugula. Venice, Naples, other areas and cities of Italy idolize her. It can be found in many recipes around the world. From the seeds make a fragrant and very healthy oil, which is added to mustard. Greens and flowers are put in salads. This is its main purpose, but not the only one.
It is used for the preparation of meat, fish, vegetable dishes in the form of a filling for pies and rolls, sandwiches. Healthy cocktails are made from leaves. Nutritionists argue that this greens is ideal for fasting days, during which you can eat arugula without restrictions. For example, in the Caucasus, people prefer to eat shoots of ruccola in its purest form. In Italy, the plant is an indispensable component for pizza and pesto sauce, in Slovenia chebureks are cooked with it.
How to choose and store greens
Before going to the market or store, take an interest in what the arugula looks like. Choose fresh leaves, they should be uniform in the form of small plates. If possible, smell the greens. It should smell good, give peppermint and mustard. The taste of arugula is with bitterness and speck, you need to get used to it. When cooking, cooks are advised not to cut the leaves, but to tear them into pieces with their hands. So in them useful properties are better kept.
Do not buy too much greens. It quickly loses its freshness and its beneficial properties, so expect a few days. Arugula absorbs odors, so an ideal storage method would be a sealed plastic container, a glass container or a plastic bag with a fastener without access to air and water. Gather greens in a bunch, pack, put in the refrigerator on the lower shelf. There she calmly lies for three days.
If you have not calculated and bought a salad with a margin, then freeze the excess. To do this, wash the leaves, dry with a napkin, fold them in bags in portions, and put them in the freezer. Shelf life at sub-zero temperatures is extended by several months. The leaves can be dried, but in this form, the plant loses most of its vitamin and trace elements, so use this method in an emergency.