Many saw cakes and other confectionery with incredible decorative elements: curls, weightless butterflies, hearts, enchanting balls. It is difficult to believe that all this is made from a product that can be eaten. What is isomalt? This recyclable material, which not only gives aesthetic pleasure in the form of edible decoration, but also has useful properties.
The scientific name isomalt (or palatinite) appeared in the late 50s of the twentieth century. Low-calorie carbohydrates were obtained as a by-product of production. By taste, it resembles ordinary sucrose, and by all external signs it can not be distinguished from sugar, familiar to everyone. Isomalt is a plant product that is present in the composition of reeds, beets, so that it is completely safe for humans.
By 1990, the sweetener was officially recognized as safe and in the United States the product was allowed to be consumed in any quantities. A little later, American scientists joined in Europe: the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives of WHO and the EEC Scientific Committee of Food confirmed its safety. Since then, in many countries began widespread use in the food and pharmaceutical industry. Chewing gums, chocolate or other sweets with this sweetener appeared on store shelves.
What are they made of
A plant sweetener is made in the form of white crystals or granules. The final product is a low-calorie, new-generation carbohydrate, odorless, with a sweet taste. Isomalt is highly soluble in water. This product is obtained even at home by isolating sucrose from natural ingredients:
- sugar beet;
The sweetener E953 is classified as a natural sweetener that is safe for humans. It tastes very much like sucrose, but not so sweet, so you’ll have to add twice as much product to add sweetness to the dish. Due to the fact that this sweetener is poorly absorbed by the intestinal walls, it is allowed to use in diabetes. Isomalt is low in calories. Calorie content is 240 units per 100 g.
Benefit and harm
The widespread popularity of isomalt hides the main reasons - these are the beneficial properties that this product boasts:
- Isomalt is created from natural products, while it has a pleasant sweet taste. It can be safely used instead of sugar to sweeten tea or coffee, some dishes.
- Isomalt is safe for teeth, does not contribute to the development of caries, restores tooth enamel.
- Dietary product is used for saturation. So, roasting or isomalt candies will help get rid of hunger, like plant fiber.
- Low calorie.
- Can be eaten with diabetes.
Harmful properties of the product:
- Since isomalt is not as sweet as regular sugar, the product is added twice as much to give the dish or drink the desired taste. So you get more calories.
- Although it is considered completely safe for the human body, they should not get carried away very much, otherwise problems with the gastrointestinal tract are possible.
How to work with isomalt
Current trends indicate that in any baked goods with decoration, everything should be edible. Professional chefs around the world use this material to decorate cakes and pastries. The product is viscous, malleable and flexible, it can be given any shape, while it is resistant to high temperatures and does not stick to your hands. The method of preparing raw materials for confectionery and other products looks like this:
- Sweetener is mixed with distilled water in a pan.
- The mixture is put on low heat and stirred until completely dissolved. Bring to a boil.
- Using a confectionery thermometer, it is necessary to achieve a product temperature of 167 degrees. Remove from the stove and cool to 65 degrees.
- At this temperature, you can work with the product in latex gloves or pour it into molds to get pastry glass or diet sweets. Using gluing and periodic heating, so that the mass can soften, you can sculpt any figures.
- For wrapping, use silicone mats, foil, cling film. So it will be easier to separate the finished figure after solidification.
Although you can cook such a product at home, modern technologies simplify everything and you can buy a ready-made product for confectionery work in the store - Get Sassie isomalt sticks. They are sold in sets of different colors. You just need to heat them according to the instructions and turn the plastic mass into what you want. In the frozen form, the decorations from these sticks are similar to glass ones, shimmer beautifully in the light and give desserts a special gloss.
Another development to make stick handling easier is the Sassie Shot. It helps to make original figures even faster and very simple. In a matter of minutes, the gun warms up, a stick of the required color is inserted into it, which immediately begins to melt and flow out in the form of a syrup or a thicker mass (depending on the mode you have chosen).
To prepare decorative figures from a sweetener, not so many things will be needed, the main thing in this matter is accuracy and creativity. Balls or spheres look beautiful. What is needed to create them:
- 100 g of isomalt;
- wooden spatula;
- hair dryer;
- silicone mat;
- isomalt pump;
- silicone gloves.
The ball manufacturing process is as follows:
- Heat the isomalt in a saucepan to a liquid state.
- Add a few drops of the dye you need.
- Mix the mass with a wooden spatula.
- Cool to a plasticine consistency.
- Put on gloves and make a ball.
- Insert the pump tube into it and start inflating the sphere. It is important that the walls of the ball are the same temperature. This can be achieved with hot air dryer.
- Gently pull the pump out of the finished sphere, warming up the junction.
If you fill the mold for cookies or ice of interesting shape with isomalt, then you will get a finished decoration for the cake. You can also work with a pastry bag to get an edible decor of any shape. You will need: silicone mat, isomalt, dye, alcohol / vodka, pastry bag or cornetik, molds, silicone molds or candy molds, spatula. After the powder is melted by heating on a stove or in a microwave, let it calm down a little and pour into a cornet or pastry bag.
Twist the cornet on top and start drawing. Pre-degrease the silicone mat with alcohol or vodka. Start to draw a pattern, write a name or words - from the sweetener do whatever your heart desires. Remove the figures from the mat carefully using a wooden or plastic spatula to prevent cracking. When using ready-made forms, the work becomes even easier: fill the mold with liquid isomalt and leave it to cool.